Sunday, February 20, 2022

Let’s Plays To Death (Full Short Story)

It’s the year 2093 and climate change has altered societies way of life. Since really no one goes outside anymore due to the extreme weather, people just stay at home and watch FlinchTV. What is FlinchTV? Why it’s the largest live streaming website in the world owned by the tech giant Forest Inc. 

 

My name is Ian McShiner, but I’m known better under my username DoctorToyWarz where I work as a live streamer on FlinchTV. I have 350 million followers on social media and over 400 million subscribers on FlinchTV. To be honest I should say I used to have those followers and subscribers, but after a recent scandal where I said something racist as my poor attempt at humor during a live stream, I lost a quarter of my followers and subscribers. Along with losing my sponsorship deals and my agent. Hell, even my girlfriend dumped me due to my raising fame and because many of my female fans came a calling. 

 

Now with basically no money left and on the verge of losing everything I built, I needed to make my comeback and regain my fame. But I needed to stand out from the crowd. So, one day out of the blue, a new potential sponsor sent me an email saying they wanted me to test out a new gaming chair during a live stream. With the money they offered me I couldn’t turn them down and since it would be enough to fix my apartment’s broken air conditioner, which I need due to the extreme heat of the modern summers as they are called now. I happily agreed to sponsor the new gaming chair and now my comeback is on.

 

After Forest inc. delivered my new gaming chair, I got another email from my sponsor who I forgot to mention was called PharmaKey Inc. I’ve never heard of them before and my web searching skills failed me. But PharamKey’s money is good and before I did my latest live stream, I’ve received an email from PharmaKey. It said that this is no ordinary gaming chair, but it includes a new way to play. Lastly, they warned this might be my last day of play. I had no idea what that meant but I’m at least happy they marketed this live stream like crazy. 

 

I finally set up the new gaming chair from PharmaKey and was getting ready for my live stream on FlinchTV. “Okay, let’s play some Toy Brawlers,” I said to myself. What was weird was that my dog Freddy didn’t want to enter my gaming room. Freddy seemed afraid of the new gaming chair. I would soon learn why. Once I started the game, began live streaming to billions of people around the world and finally sat on the new gaming chair. Something was off, once I sat in my new gaming chair, I could get up, like I was stuck permanently. “Hello viewers, this is your boy DoctorToyWarz and I’m stuck, so let’s begin playing some Toy Brawlers,” I said nervously. My Forest inc. Anne began to chime up. “Anne FlinchTV recommendations, The Death of DoctorToyWarz is streaming now on FlinchTV, would you like to watch?” said my Anne home assistant. “The Death of DoctorToyWarz? What the…,” I cried. I looked through the live stream chat and the comments were saying that this is my final day of play. One comment scared me more than anything else. It said that I only get three tries against the final boss fight in Toy Brawlers and then my gaming chair will eject me with poison which will kill me. And my fans know that I can never beat the final boss in Toy Brawlers. 

 

In the chats I discovered the PharmaKey is a pharmaceutical corporation, and they are testing out a new suicide machine. This new suicide machine is what I was currently sitting in. You see, two years ago the government legalized assistant suicide and the suicide booth business grew. But once the weather became too unpredictable, everyone was ordered to stay inside. So now PharamKey came up with a new suicide machine where the user plays video games as they are slowly ejected with lethal drugs. I played Toy Brawlers for a good two hours until I made it to the final boss fight. After I used my two tries, I only had one try left again the Toy Brawlers final boss. My hands were hurting but I played like hell because my life literally depended on it. “What’s this,” I uttered in pain. I noticed in the chat, someone sent me a cheat code to defeat the final boss in Toy Brawlers. 

 

I entered that baby into the game, and I was shocked that it didn’t work. “What the fuck?” I yelled. It was then I realized the person in the chat gave me the cheat code for the final boss in Toy Brawlers 3 and for an entirely different video game console. I slowly felt that death was near. “Why? Why are you all watching me die?” I uttered as I slowly faded away. Everyone in the chat said the same thing, you deserved this. As I was dying from the lethal drugs, I started to reflect on my life. I regretted cheating on my girlfriend, I regretted my racist jokes, I regretted becoming a fame whore and asshole. But most of all, I regret that I’m not dying as the shy nerdy kid Ian McShiner, but the monster DoctorToyWarz. What have I become? A better question is who was I to begin with. The live stream ended early, and death came early as well. Game over! Thanks for watching! Please subscribe to the channel because it would support me a lot. This has been DoctorToyWarz. Remember, do anything for the content. Of course, those sentences above were prerecorded because I had no final words. “Ordering the usual deep dish sausage pizza for Ian after another successful live stream. Also reminding rent is due today and you have a zero balance in your account. Would you like me to do anything else, Ian?” asked Anne. Anne didn’t get an answer back, only silence as this wasn’t really a final day of play, but the last day on the job. 

No comments:

Post a Comment