Thursday, December 1, 2016

Jeff’s Comic Shop: Remake Script!

                              (An intro shot of the outside of “Jeff’s Comic Shop” and a slow fade in to see Jeff sleeping at the counter)

                               (Randy slowly enters the scene and he rings a bell at the counter. Jeff wakes up)

                        JEFF
                          (YAWNING)
What, Oh! Welcome to Jeff’s Comic Shop! How may I help you, sir?

                       RANDY
                         (SARCASTICALLY)
Boy, you sure do give this place life! Morning Sleeping Beauty!

                               (Jeff soon recognizes Randy and gets excited)

                         JEFF
                           (EXCITED)
RANDY! MY MAN WHAT’S HAPPENING BRO! I THOUGHT YOU WOULD BE IN COLLEGE ALREADY! MR. TECH WIZARD!

                        RANDY
No, It’s still summer and I’m looking for work and I heard you opened up a comic shop, so I thought I pop in!

                          JEFF
Great to see you Mr. Ivey League. So do you want the latest issue of Moon Maiden? I of course know my best friend’s favorite superhero. Plus I know you have a crush on her!

                         RANDY
Who doesn’t have a crush on Moon Maiden? With her movie coming out and all…but bro that’s not why I’m here!

                          JEFF
So, why?

                            (Randy points to the help wanted sign on the window and Jeff puts his hand over his face)

                        JEFF
You’re here for the clerk job?

                       RANDY
So, is there like an interview, do you need to see my resume?

                        JEFF
Dude, you got the job! But here’s the thing, what do you see?

                             (Jeff spreads his arms out wide while Randy looks both ways)

                       RANDY
Well, I see some comics, some action figures, posters, DVDs, a picture of your schnauzer Hank and your bust of Abraham Lincoln. Shall I go on?

                      JEFF
Let me rephrase the question, what do you not see in my comic shop?

                       RANDY
Other people?

                       JEFF
Correct, or as they should be called customers, so here’s the thing, no customers means no money, no money means…no pay!

                       RANDY
So how do we get customers to the shop then?

                       JEFF
I have no idea!

                                 (The outside of Jeff’s Comic Shop appears on screen and underneath it says 10 minutes later)

                                 (Reopening with Jeff eating chips out of a bowl chewing really loudly while Randy is sweeping up the shop)

                       

                       JEFF
                          (GLEEFULLY)
How’s the work coming along Randy?

                       (Randy throws down the broom and stares angrily at Jeff)

                       RANDY
                         (ANGRILY)
HOW’S THE WORK? SERIOUSLY? HELP ME OUT HERE MAN, THIS PLACE IS A PIGSTY! WHEN’S THE LAST TIME YOU CLEANED IT?

                       JEFF
I have only owned the shop for two days, so…I never really cleaned it! But hey that’s what the clerk is for, right?

                       RANDY
Hey, you’re like my best friend. I’ve been working for free since 10 minutes ago when you gave me the job and…

                       JEFF
I know, you want pay, but we haven’t had a customer yet! Besides that guy who asked us how to get to Taco Town and that old lady who wanted to validate her parking, we haven’t had an actual customer. But I just posted an ad for the shop on the That Spells Action Comics.com!

                       RANDY
That Spells Action Comics! You mean the comic book company? How did you afford an ad on their website? I mean they’re the biggest comic book company ever!

                        JEFF
If you own a comic shop that sells their comics they put your store on their store finder! So, problem solved!

                       RANDY
So about answering my question, are you going to help me clean the shop, because I could really use the help!

                       JEFF
Okay, let’s play role-play, I’m your boss, you’re the clerk. We may be best friends, but here, the rules are different! Now, I stay up here at the counter and help the customers, and you clean! Now the bathroom isn’t going to clean itself! GET BUSY!

                      
                       RANDY
Look, I think we should be partners in this! Gosh, of all the people in the world I had to have as a boss…

                                    (Randy exits the scene in a huff, and Jeff sighs and picks up his bust of Abraham Lincoln)

                       JEFF
                         (STARING AT HIS BUST OF ABRAHAM LINCOLN)

Oh Abe, my hero, you lead a nation to greatness! Teach me your ways in leadership, please? So that I may guide young Randy to greatness and…

                                    (Randy reenters while sweeping)

                    RANDY
You know Lincoln was the one that freed the slaves, right?

                     JEFF
                       (ANNOYED)
HA HA HA! Okay fine, I’ll wash the windows! HAPPY!

                     RANDY
Of course, boss!

                             (Jeff grabs a rag and goes to wash the windows and Randy continues sweeping)

                             (We see the outside of the comic shop again and underneath it says 20 minutes later)

                             (Jeff looks bored at the counter and Randy enters while holding a clown action figure)

                      RANDY
Hey Jeff, I found an Officer Bubbles action figure in the bargain bin! You know this action figure is worth $50,000, right?

                      JEFF
Say what now?

                     
                    RANDY
I mean how much did you pay for it?

                      


                    JEFF
I paid an old lady at a yard sale 12 cents for that Officer Bubbles action figure. Boy, I’m glad I have my little expert here to tell me these things. For that bit of knowledge, we’ll go to Taco Town tonight! My treat!

                    RANDY
Don’t you mean, your Dad’s treat?

                     JEFF
Leave my Dad out of this okay! Yeah I know it’s a little weird for me to still live with my parents, but back off! If it weren’t for my Dad I wouldn’t have the shop right now!

                    RANDY
Wait, Mr. Used Cars of Mystic County gave you the money to open up a comic book store? But your Dad hates comics! Why would he give you the money?

                                (Jeff sighs and looks down)
                       JEFF
Actually, my Dad wanted me to use the money for college. When I told him I wanted to open a comic book shop. He wasn’t happy. But he just wants me to have a job and he wants me to succeed in business like he did.

                       RANDY
So, what if the shop fails, what will happen then?

                       JEFF
Then I have to sell used cars with my Dad!

                       RANDY
But you hate cars!

                       JEFF
Kind of weird for the son of Mr. Used Cars of Mystic County to hate cars! But he hates comics, so were even! Now there’s something I wanted to ask you Randy…

                      
                     RANDY
What?

                             (Jeff smiles and pulls out some trading cards)

                     
                        JEFF
Do you want to challenge High Wizard Jeff in a game of “Sun Dragons of the Nile”?

                        RANDY
You dare challenge an Ultra High Wizard! How stupid are you peasant?

                         JEFF
ENOUGH, ULTRA HIGH WIZARD RANDY! TIME TO SETTLE THIS IN THE CASTLE OF SUN MOTHERS! BRING IT!

                              (Jeff and Randy begin playing their trading card game)

                       RANDY
The wizard that loses cleans the bathroom?

                        JEFF
You’re on!

                             (Now we see the outside of the comic shop again and underneath it says 30 minutes later)

                             (Jeff and Randy are sitting around reading comics and goofing off)

                         JEFF
Oh no way man, Goddiess is a god! No way Dr. Strong can beat him?

                        RANDY
He so can!

                        JEFF
In my eyes, the only character that can beat Goddiess in a fight is Super Dude!

                        RANDY
Who’s Super Dude? Man, you made him up! MR. COMICS 101 RIGHT HERE!

                      

                     JEFF
Of course I made Super Dude up, I don’t just want to be a comic shop owner, I WANT TO BE A COMIC BOOK WRITER!

                     

                      RANDY
You, a comic book writer? Have you gotten anything published?

                      JEFF
Nope! No one hires a guy who just writes, they want one that can draw too! But I can only draw stick figures. How will I ever be like my hero Kirby Siegel?

                     RANDY
I can draw your comic books man! Years of doodling in high school bro!

                      JEFF
Randy, I would love for you to be the Gardner Starlin to my Kirby Siegel. Together we shall become the greatest writer-artist duo the likes of which comics has never seen before or will again!

                             (Jeff and Randy do their special handshake and laugh afterwards)

                     BETH
                       (OFF STAGE)
HELLO! ANYBODY HERE!

                            (Jeff and Randy pause and begin to feel nervous)

                      JEFF
                         (NERVOUS)
RANDY! DID YOU HEAR THAT?

                            (Randy nods his head)
                    
                      JEFF
                        (NERVOUS)
A GIRL IS IN HERE! WHAT DO WE DO?

                      RANDY
                        (YELLING NERVOUSLY)
We’re over here, miss!

                      JEFF
                        (YELLING)
DUDE!

                                (Beth enters and Jeff and Randy are basically tongue-tied)
                   
                      BETH
Hi, I’m Beth. I own the beauty salon next door and I thought I’d greet my new neighbors. So you two are my neighbors?

                     (Jeff and Randy stare at her blankly and Beth begins to feel like this is an awkward moment)

                    BETH
OKAY! Well, I have to get back to the beauty saloon, but I thought I’d give you guys a coupon for a free haircut and shampoo! Well, it was nice meeting you two! You both seem nice!

                           (Beth exits the scene and Jeff and Randy look at each other)

                   JEFF & RANDY
                        (AT THE SAME TIME)
NAILED IT!

                           (Jeff and Randy give each other a high five)

                           (We see the outside of the comic shop again and underneath it says 50 minutes later)

                           (Jeff is watching an online video on his computer and Randy walks up to him)

                         RANDY
Hey Jeff, it’s 1 hour until closing and we haven’t had a customer so I guess…what are you watching?

                        JEFF
Super Happy Penny! I mean, no that’s a girl’s anime, I don’t watch…

                       RANDY
I love Super Happy Penny!

                       JEFF
Really? I thought I was the only dude that watches it! I’m watching episode 4 right now!

                       RANDY
I love episode 4! GREATEST ANIME EVER!

                    
                     JEFF
Well watch it with me man, you’re missing her magic sunshine ray! HURRY OVER HERE! I CAN ONLY HAVE IT ON PAUSE FOR SO LONG!

                       (Randy rushes over and sits next to Jeff while they both watch Super Happy Penny)

                       (While Jeff and Randy are watching the online video, a customer finally enters)

                    CUSTOMER
Excuse me, but do you have the latest issue of Robot Blue?

                     JEFF
Go away we’re closed!

                         (Customer sighs and exits the store, after the customer leaves Jeff pauses)

                      JEFF
WAIT A MINUTE! RANDY!

                      RANDY
WHAT?

                      JEFF
That guy who came in here! He wanted to buy a comic book! He…I mean…

                            (Jeff and Randy stare at each other then they scream at the same time)            
               
                             (Randy jumps up and begins to rush out the door)

                       RANDY
                         (WHILE EXITING)
WAIT! COME BACK! WE’RE NOT CLOSED YET!

                                  (Jeff running in a huff trying to catch up with Randy)

                      JEFF
WE HAVE ROBOT BLUE EVERYTHING HERE! SIR PLEASE! WE NEED YOU! YOU’RE OUR HERO! COME BACK!

                     (Blackout)


No comments:

Post a Comment